January 24, 2013

How To... Rustoleum Countertop Transformations


 Earlier this week I gave you a little peak in the office I am working on.  On the exterior the building has a funky mid century vibe... but on the inside it had a bad mid 80's vibe!  This office space is rented, so though my client knew he had to spend some money, we wanted to make a little changes to the permeant fixtures as possible.  With that being said we just couldn't leave the "marbled" green laminate alone!  I am a great designer, but there was no designing around this...


For a couple hundred bucks and about 4 of my hours {NOTE: this is not the actual time this will take} I was able to change the green to a more appealing modern black.  Here is my step by step process... 


As any paint project starts out, prep and tape your space.  There is no way that you could cut in!  You have to tape off the edges... I tried! 

The kit consists of 4 different products and up to 5 steps.  Included is a sanding block to give your countertops a quick sanding.  I did not go to town, I just sanded until it I could feel some grooves in the countertop.  It took me about 20 mins to do the whole area.  Next is to apply the base coat.  It is super thick and is recommended to apply like frosting on a cake.  So I applied as directed.


Per the directions it was recommended to use a brush to paint the backsplash, 1" or 2" from the corners, and the edge.  And then to roll the rest.


Working in small manageable sections {as suggested} apply the base.  It is hard to tell when wet, but be sure to cover the countertop well!  Once you are done with the section immediately apply the provided wetting agent.  Next fill the provided hopper {dispenser} with the provided chips and spread over wet surface.  And that is where I stopped following directions!  EEK!  The kit came with 6 bags of chips!  It also came with an example of how the counter should look and feel after step 4.  Once I started adding the chips I decided I didn't want that much grey.  I wanted the countertop to look black with small specs of grey.  So I applied the chips evenly, but not nearly as much as it recommended.  If you do follow the directions included you will need to use all of the chips!  If you miss a spot or two with the base coat the chips will cover it up in the end.  You can can go back and touch up some areas if needed, but try to do it in the first coat.


Once complete with steps 1 & 2 it needs to dry and cure for at least 18 hours but not more than 24 hours.  I let it sit for 2 days!  Once I made it back to the office, my client asked what was left in the process and I told him {per the kits directions} I need to sand to smooth and then apply the top coat.  He told me that he like the texture of the chips and he didn't think I should sand it.  I agreed, but gave it a little scraping {with the included scraper} to free up some of the loose chips.  It is a good thing my client liked the texture, because if I had sanded it smooth I would have exposed the green!  Well that is why 5 other bags of chips were included!  So after I scraped some loose chips I applied the clear top coat.  I brushed and rolled in the same fashion I applied the base.  Once the base is applied then carefully remove the tape.  It recommends to use a blade to cut away the tape... and they are totally right!  Maybe it was because I let the paint go for 2 days, but the paint was fully dried and the tape difficult to remove! If you waited until the top coat was dry I think it would be impossible to remove the tape!






 The kit recommends 48 hours for it dry and cure before light use and 2 weeks before heavy items are set on it.  We waited about 48 hours and then moved in the computer and worked on it.  The top coat filled in some of the texture so it was not nearly as rough as it was before, but there is still texture.  In the end I would recommend following the directions as always {and if you want to watch a full video tutorial on the recommend directions go here}.  But if the client is happy that is all that matters!

7 comments:

Elizabeth @ Southern Color said...

Great transformation for a rental! The space looks much more up to date now. Will you be painting the cabinets?

lisaroyhandbags said...

Even though you may not have followed the directions to a T, I think it looks fantastic!

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Looks so much better, Tiffany. I've suggested this product for temporary updates before, but I've never attempted it myself. Great to hear it worked well, and thanks for the tips on what you'd do differently next time.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

what a great idea!!!! ive never seen this. way to go on this!

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess said...

Hi Tiffany -- Thanks for showing the process and the finished result! I have been debating using this product on my dad's bright green bathroom countertop before we sell, and I think I'm sold now.

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

You did a great job updating the space - it is always amazing what a difference some paint can make. The countertops look great Tiffany, and very wise to follow directions - always! I do like the blue walls, too.

Nancy said...

GREAT solution! Love it.
Have a wonderful weekend.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com