June 5, 2012

How To... Tinted Glass Experiment

Last week I changed up my decor with some light and fresh beachy decor.  I have been lusting over the tinted glass in all the magazines, but didn't want to spend the money for more vases {because we all know I do not need to spend any more $ on glass vases!} so I thought I would make my own.  I looked up some tutorials I had pinned.  The one I like the best was from Amiee at It's Overflowing.  Her method was water based and couldn't be used with water and flowers.  But I also wanted to be able to use some with water, so I found a tutorial from Linda at Craftaholic Anonymous who used Enamel paint.  SO... I thought I would try them both!  


I rounded up some vases I already had and made a quick trip to the Goodwill and spend a whopping $10 on vases.


I started with the non waterproof technique.  Take Mod Podge and mix with water.  I used about 1/2 cup Mod Podge and 1 tbsp water.  Then mix in the color.  The last pic is 3 drops blue.  The darker the color the darker the color will be in the end.  I wish I would have gone darker!

My first attempt was a pair of hurricane vases.  I poured the solution in and then swirled it around.  Since it was open on both ends, it was sort of hard to keep contained.


I had quiet a lot of dripping down the outside, so I just wiped it down with a wet paper towel.  I let the solution drain to the bottom for about 10 mins then put them in the oven at 200 degrees.



Aimee tutorial says to bake them for about 20 mins, but I am not sure if it was because mine were bigger or didn't have a bottom, but I left them in there for almost an hour!!!  It took forever for the excess to bake off!  I was a little impatient....


On my second attempt with the mod podge solution was to coat the vases with a bottom and bake them right side up.  I let the solution drain out for about 10 mins {should have waited more like 20-30!!} and then placed them in the oven.  I had to leave them in there for almost an hour to bake off all of the excess that settled at the bottom.


My last attempt was to do it the way Aimee instructed and to leave them upside down while in the oven.  


I then used the Glass Enamel paint and a foam brush and painted the inside of a vase and the outside of two vases.


This is what they looked like before they went into the oven.  

Are you ready for the results...

Attempt #1 Glass hurricanes ~ SUCCESS!




The bottom has a little ripple of solution, but it is not that visible.

Attempt #2 Vases right side up in the oven ~ SUCCESS! 


This one is my favorite! There is a little bit of excess at the bottom, but it has hardened enough to put things in it.  I love the color and the shape of this vase!


This one also turned out great!  Again there is a little settling of the solution at the bottom, but the color is still pretty consistent.  

Attempt #3 Vases upside down & Attempt #4 Enamel Paint ~ FAIL!




Now I am sure the reason the vases upside down didn't work is due to my own lack of patients!  If I would have let them hang out upside down for a bit longer they would not have had so much excess to burn off.  The glass enamel paint however, just turned out all bad!  The brush strokes did not burn off and they looked the same after the oven as they did going in.  I don't mind them all too much, but they were not what I was going for in my decor.

I am happy with most of my results, but it defiantly would not be called the best success!  So to recap if you attempt this project, be patient!  Take your time and let all of the solution drain out!  




13 comments:

Maury Kilgo said...

Good to know! I've been wanting to try this, but I do wish you could actually use them for flowers!

Decor & Harmony said...

Tiffany you're a real trooper :) sometimes you just have to experiment until you get it right. Thanks for sharing have a great day!

amber wallace said...

I don't know if I have the patience! Great vase finds! You did a great job though! If there are ones you don't like as much there is always spray paint ;)

lisaroyhandbags said...

Funny - I've got this on my project list and my supplies all ready to go. Thanks for the heads up that things don't always go as planned.

Shannon Elise said...

I love these! Nice job! Sometimes you just have to keep experimenting to get it right. You are very patient; I would have probably given up after the first cracked one. :)

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Perseverance pays off. I'm glad you experimented, as I've had this bookmarked for a while now. I was fortunate to score some blue/green glass bottles at the thrift shop, so I may forget about it now.

Laura [Beauty & the Beard] said...

LOVE this tutorial, amazing as always tiffany!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

You nailed it. Love the yellow! And the stipes, lovely.

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

You did a great job, Tiffany, and you certainly have a lot of patience and are persistent!

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess said...

LOL -- Such a funny post! And wow, what dedication to getting it right. :-) I love how the successful ones turned out!

Cre8ive Motives said...

They look fantastic, you must have so much patience to do this :)

Ashley Urke | Domestic Fashionista said...

Super fun...and savvy...of course! Love this idea! What an easy way to bring new life to some already existing vases!

hayley [see.hay.fly] said...

those turned out awesome! i need to go to the goodwill more often, i can never seem to find anything.